Company Name: Dreamhost
Official Home Page: Dreamhost.com
Dreamhost offers several web hosting services such as shared hosting, vps web hosting, dedicated server, etc. In addition, they also offer domain registration services! According to their domain's WHOIS info, they have been in business since 1997, and they are based in California (92821)!
* User Friendly
* Limitless Possibilities
* Blogging Made Easy
* Advanced Functionality
* Satisfaction Guaranteed
* Enterprise-Level Reliability
* One-Click Software Installer
97 day money back guarantee
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the company's ACTUAL customers:
* I love Dreamhost's control panel and how they don't babysit you for everything. I love their laidback attitude!
* Uptime and support of Dreamhost are okay; if you want 100% uptime you should use a Cloudfare service too to provide for redundancy in case of unexpected network-related downtimes/outages. Their prices are really good though! I have been with them since 2010 and really very happy so far!
* Dreamhost is one of the two web hosting services I am currently using and so far, I am very happy with their support. I do however doubt their "unlimited disk space and bandwidth" nonsense.
* Out of the blue, Dreamhost informed me of a security breach on my server; they "settled the matter" by resetting all the login passwords of my websites! What irks me is the lack of communication from them: there was no word from them on how the security breach occurred, if any confidential data was stolen during the breach, and why passwords that should have been stored in encrypted format are instead stored as plaintext! This kind of service is totally unacceptable and makes me feel that I should shift all my websites from Dreamhost to somewhere else!
* I was impressed with Dreamhost's frontline chat but found their technical support greatly lacking. There are times when you need not just verbal assistance but also a bit of hand-holding, such as importing a MYSQL dump or running a couple of SSH commands; in these times, Dreamhost would leave you on your own! Probably more pathetic is that they don't even make any attempt to assure their new customers of offering technical support in case they ever need it! In the end, I just cancelled my account with them because I don't really want to be in real trouble with them down the road!
* I transferred three domains from Namecheap. Dreamhost deleted one of them from the registry, saying that it had expired 6 months ago; in reality, the domain was supposed to expire 5 months later, according to Namecheap! I raised tickets with Dreamhost, but they forced me to pay a redemption fee of $120 to retrieve the domain. I would like my money back, because I believe Dreamhost deleted my domain in error!
* I was with Dreamhost for some time and while I found their service adequate and I loved their 1-click installs, it was an entirely different story when it came to WordPress. WordPress blogs would always load slowly and overload the server! With so many better web hosting services available out there, there is no reason to join Dreamhost.
* I have been with Dreamhost for 5 years! With them, you get exactly what you pay for! I liked their easy-to-use web control panel and the extra add-ons they offer with your purchase, but their support and documentation left much to be desired! Their support is fast with basic questions but as soon as you start asking them anything tricky, their weakness shows. I believe they do backup their customers' data, but are not very transparent about it! The biggest negative is that they advertise "unlimited bandwidth" when it is not really "unlimited"!
* I have searched high and low for a support phone number of Dreamhost and was extremely disappointed not to find one! It seems they don't offer phone support!
* I was with them for barely 2 hours and found their control panel one of the most confusing things I have ever encountered in my life!
* I used to be with Dreamhost long time ago and I found their service so-so! Their "unlimited" claim is meaningless nonsense though. These days, the limits on RAM/Inodes/CPU are what really matters!
* Dreamhost is an OK host; not bad, but not very good either. Mainly it is their server uptime that needs improvement. You can probably get more value for your money with another web host!
* I was with Dreamhost for a couple of days and my server experienced more downtime than uptime. Thankfully, they were quick to act on my refund request!
* My issues with Dreamhost began with my first web hosting order with them. It was processed through Google™ Checkout. While Google said the payment was processed, Dreamhost said exactly the opposite. Ticket after ticket went unanswered and only a threat of legal action ensured that I get a response from them.
Next, one day out of the blue, they disabled my account, allegedly for using "black hat tools" like the All in One SEO Pack WordPress plugin, as well as some "other reason" that was left unexplained even after multiple enquiries! Unfortunately, my domain was also registered with Dreamhost, and I wanted to transfer it to Godaddy, but could not, not until I sent yet another legal threat to Dreamhost!
Do not be fooled by all the fake affiliate reviews you see online! I am not the first one having issues like this! Dreamhost is known to steal domains outright! Don't be scammed by them!
* Somebody replaced a couple of the files of my forum, which made the forum dysfunctional. All I needed was to replace those two bad files with the good ones, and it was not an issue for me, because I had a recent backup, right? Well, wrong! Although I had downloaded the backup to my hard drive, I could not, for the life for mine, extract its contents! When I asked the tech support to restore the forum from a previous backup they automatically made for me, they said they would instead like to create a NEW backup and work with that! Horrible tech support!
* Usually it takes Dreamhost no more than 4 hours tor reply to a support ticket. This year is however, different. The response time got awfully slow, so that my last support ticket was answered after two days; by that time, I no longer needed their support, because had assumed that I was on my own and decided to create my website from scratch! Cannot believe how crappy Dreamhost's tech support has become! If you have a VPS then no matter what your problem is, the first level of tech support is useless! As for the live chat, it is never online - not at least during the hours I visit the website!
* Dreamhost is the crappiest web host I have ever known! I have now shifted to a smaller company. It does not offer me unlimited disk space and bandwidth like Dreamhost (in reality, even Dreamhost does not offer you anything "unlimited", but that is another story), but my forum now runs a lot smoother and faster than before! With Dreamhost, the forum would take a long time to load.
One more reason why Dreamhost sucks is that they require an upfront payment of one year and then, if you get even close to your "unlimited" limits they will ban you! Thankfully I was within the refund period!
* Dreamhost gave me a dysfunctional server and my blog would not run on it. Their support staff would refuse to transfer my website to a functional server because their software does not offer the option of moving a website from one server to another! Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced, so bad that their customer service manager himself suggested that I find another web hosting company and even offered to make a payment to that end, provided that I promote Dreamhost!
* Dreamhost's email servers are so bad and unreliable that they now ask their customers to use Gmail servers instead!
* My website had 49 outages within just one month! The total number of outages I had during this year is around 88! Each of the outage lasted for more than 5 minutes! I decided to cancel my Dreamhost account after the tech support told me that if I wanted better uptime I should move to a dedicated server! Ridiculous!
* Dreamhost has plenty of ex-customers. From deleting entire blogs without the customer's permission, to deleting backups, to hijacking domain names illegally, Dreamhost has done it all!
* When I was with Dreamhost, their server sucked and they refused to offer me phone support. After I left Dreamhost, they sent teddy bears, flowers and balloons to my home! They must be feeling really guilty!
Listen Dreamhost, you could have instead offered me 3 months of free hosting when I wanted to cancel; you could have also moved me to a rock-solid server that did not suck as much as the one I had; I would have readily written about you guys with enthusiasm! After all, who wants to go through the headache of changing hosts! But now that I have left Dreamhost, I ain't coming back no more!
* Dreamhost blocked Google bot from accessing my website by adding IP deny rules in my .htaccess file! Dreamhost did this without informing me at all! I only realized what had happened once my website traffic started to decline steadily! When contacted, their support staff apologized but mentioned that while it is not the company's policy to make any modifications to the .htaccess file without informing the customer, it is not possible for him to track down the person who did it.
I cannot believe they treat their customers like filth! I thought I have had enough of them but had to stay on because I had pre-paid for one year's hosting. However, later on, when my website was hacked, I thought it was time to switch hosts! Do NOT EVER JOIN Dreamhost! They are the worst host I have ever seen! If you get most of your traffic from Google then an arbitrary web host like Dreamhost would only serve to decrease your bank balance!
* I wish I could afford to move my blog out of Dreamhost. From slow servers and unstable databases to email servers being greylisted by Gmail, I am having quite a headache with them!
* Dreamhost flagged my WordPress blog for "sending spam emails" and decided to shut it down. Since when has WordPress started sending out spam emails on its own? Dreamhost support said that my blog was probably compromised and now being used to send out spam emails!
I asked Dreamhost support for an in-depth answer about the culprit script/plugin; in reply, they said they do not offer support for third-party scripts (and I thought Dreamhost offers 1-click install of WordPress, and that the WordPress guys recommend Dreamhost for blog hosting)! In essence, the Dreamhost tech support is smart enough to detect (even if incorrectly) WordPress as a source of spam, but cannot offer you a solution! Dreamhost web hosting really sucks big time. Stay away from them!
* Dreamhost is full of unprofessional idiots! You can also call it "lame host"!
* While Dreamhost is cheap, you won't know what you are getting yourself into until your websites start generating reasonable traffic; that is exactly when they would suspend/shut down your site! Bottom line, you get what you pay for!
Well, this "Dreamhost" seems to be less like a dream and more like a nightmare to anyone looking for a reliable host! Hence, NOT recommended!
And to think, I lost my commissions yet again for failing to recommend a "grimhost"! :D (Just Kidding)
The DreamHost Story
At DreamHost we’ve been happily hosting our clients’ dreams (and websites) since April 1997. That was when four Computer Science undergraduates at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA launched this company with no capital apart from a single Pentium 100 web server (Destro was her name), using shared bandwidth on a T1 line that a friend gave us at no cost. By necessity we had to be frugal, but even with our less than ample resources we always did our best to provide a quality service at a reasonable price.
Those early days forced us to get creative and use innovative solutions to meet the needs of our customers. It’s a habit that’s stuck with us as we’ve decided to build much of our own technology, and really differentiates us from the competition. Our technology is built by some of the industry’s most clever developers on stable systems that come together to create one amazing user experience. Designed to be easy-to-use, everything at DreamHost is built with the customer in mind.
So far, we’ve hit the nail on the head. Over the last decade or so, we’ve grown to more than 1500 servers, state-of-the-art data centers, and a full time staff of more than 100 employees. We now host more than 1 million domains. We’re focused solely on providing a quality customer experience backed by the absolute best web hosting technology in the industry. It’s a never-ending quest, but it’s one we’re happy to take on.
We pledge to always take your business seriously. We’re always looking for ways to diversify our offerings, improve reliability, and improve our overall quality of service. After all, your ideas put you online, but we’re the ones that help keep you there.
COMPANY CONTACT INFORMATION:
417 Associated Rd.
Brea, CA 92821
Best Time to Call: None Available
Fax: 714-671-9098 (Technical & Billing support is not available via FAX)
Live Chat: None Available
Community Support: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/
COMPANY TERMS AND POLICIES:
Terms of Service: http://dreamhost.com/terms-of-service/
Shared Web Hosting Details (as gotten from Ticket 56067774):
1. Restriction on cron usage for shared hosting accounts?: There is no limit, as long as you don't go over your allocated memory limits for shared hosting
2. Email Sending Restrictions on Shared Hosting Accounts: You are allowed to send no more than 100 emails per email address an hour. We allow SMTP
3. Allow_url_include, allow_url_fopen and SSI enabled?: Afraid not: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Allow_url_include
4. Passthru(),system(), and exec() enabled?: Yes allowed
5. Ioncube and zend allowed?: Yes allowed
6. 777 chmod allowed?: Yes
7. Grace period allowed in case of payment failure: You get 60 days grace period to take care of a due
8. Backup policy for shared hosting accounts?: We have an automated system that makes backups, but we don't guarantee the availability, we also offer a manual full account backup available every 30 days.
9. Clustered hosting offered?: We don't offer cluster hosting at this time
10. Perl 5.6 or later,mod_rewrite, Crypt::SSLeay,DBI module, etc enabled?: Dreamhost uses Perl version 5.8.4, and mod_rewrite is available, to find out about more modules, see here:
Service Cancellation Terms:
1. Customer agrees to a thirty (30) day contract minimum beginning upon commencement of service. Exact contract duration is decided upon at signup.
2. Customer agrees that all charges and fees associated with an account are their sole responsibility.
3. There is a per-plan one time setup fee of $49.95 for all monthly shared hosting packages.
4. If the customer wishes to cancel DreamHost shared Web Hosting services within ninety-seven (97) days of the initial signup they shall be able to do so for any reason (aside from disablement for Terms of Service or Spam Policy violations) and have their money promptly refunded.
5. Services provided by 3rd parties and DreamHost partners are not part of the 97-day refund policy and no early ending credit applies. Billing will stop at end of term during which the service is canceled.
6. At the end of the contract term, the contract will automatically renew for the original contract length indefinitely until canceled in writing or via the web panel. After the first 97 days a canceled account will be canceled before the next payment is due and no more billing will occur nor will any payment be refunded, even for unused portions. If any non-refundable charges have already been incurred, they must be paid before the account may be cancelled.
7. "97-Day Money-Back Guarantee" offer only applicable to credit card or Google Wallet payments for shared web hosting. Other forms of payment are non-refundable. Dedicated server payments are non-refundable. Domain registrations (including the value of any used free domain registrations included with the plan) are not refundable under any circumstances. SSL certificates are non-refundable. The value of any AdWords credit or other third-party add-ons is non-refundable. See domain registration agreement for more information.
8. Violations of DreamHost’s Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, or Spam Policy may, at DreamHost’s discretion, result in immediate and permanent disablement without refund.
9. Disputed charges (“chargebacks”) associated with any DreamHost account may, at DreamHost’s discretion, result in immediate and permanent disablement.
Most of the above information regarding this hosting company has been collected by us through various sources (apart from the information offered on company's website), such as: